Saturday, May 9, 2009

Stairwell Blessings

Ever since 9/11 (and the frequent deployments that ensued) the Army makes all families who come to Germany live in government quarters. This means no quaint German house, no awkward yet instructive interactions with German neighbors, and quite frankly, it often means you can forget you are in Germany. The families are placed into 2,3,4 or 5 bedroom apartments off of a common stairwell in a big group of apartment buildings. There are shared playgrounds, pavilion areas and way more parking than a German apartment complex would ever have. Families are grouped loosely by rank and family size, so you have a good chance of sharing a stairwell with families of the same age and time in the Army as yourself. Nonetheless, there are the inevitable strains of living in close quarters with so many other families. There are the inconsiderate families whose surround sound comes through the floor at night, there are the dog owners who somehow "forget" to bring a poop bag along... every time. Whenever a family moves out in a stairwell there is a joke about "stairwell roulette" - meaning that the next inhabitants to move in could become lifelong friends or may be your worst nightmare. I am pleased to report that our experience in our six-family stairwell of three and four bedroom apartments has been superb. These shots are of our friends on the first floor. Seth relentlessly pursues Julia - 3 months his junior and quite immune to his "charms" and Viv and Catie are like long lost sparkly sisters.

3 comments:

Hilary K. said...

You know, your kids are just too darn cute. How can I sign up to be a "sparkly sister" too? I PROMISE to wear a tiara and sparkly skirts...am I in?????

Anonymous said...

Oh my God. My sister has officially lost it. (the Lockport one, not the German one)

Logger Blogger Mom said...

I am happy to see that my grandson is secure in his masculinity, evidenced by the fact that he is letting someone younger and of the "weaker" sex drive. However, I suspect if there was a battery powered Ferrari or fighter plane, he'd dump her.