Wednesday, July 29, 2009

DISKs

Today I earned $196 of your tax dollars for completing a required "muster" as a member of the US Army Individual Ready Reserve. "Wait a minute," you are thinking, "I thought she was done with that Army stuff." Well this requirement is essentially the fine print on any four-year ROTC college scholarship. You owe Uncle Sam four years on active duty, but then - for the subsequent four years - you remain on a list of able-bodied people whom they can call up on short notice and send to combat somewhere. Today I completed some paperwork, showed my six month pregnant belly and went on my way. $196 will be deposited in our checking account for this performance.

After the professional Master Sergeant left our home I realized that this was the last muster I will have to complete before officially resigning my commission as a U.S. Army officer. Thus, today will be the last day for a very long time that Husb and I will be DISKs (Dual Income Some Kids). I am happy to have earned my $196 at my apartment's kitchen table, while Viv lounged on the couch and Setherade slept happily in his crib down the hallway. Truly I have no desire to have it any other way. Thank you taxpayers. ---CPT Loeffert signing off.

2 comments:

John said...

there is no other place i would like my tax dollars going. except maybe to building a huge mountain of mozzarella cheese.

but that seems slightly too self-indulgent. even for me.

Anonymous said...

I agree with John, and I too would like to visit the cheese mountain. I hear the top is smoked gouda.