Saturday, October 24, 2009

Our Eldest

Is AWOL Daddy, who turned 30 today, but this post is not about him, but rather our eldest child ---Vivian the 5 year old. As we wait on the brink of welcoming our fifth family member, I often pause to think how different life would have been with a different first child. Ours is as close to a perfect fit as I can possibly imagine. Vivian is excited about life, helpful at all turns, in love with her mischievous brother and even eager to meet the challenge of the next one. She is the consummate big sister.

This little lady has been a part of our marriage almost as long as it has been in existence. She has lived in more houses than she has years under her belt, yet handles each transition with grace and acceptance. Viv has so much of her father in her that to watch them together is magic. Spending time alone with her reminds me of so much that I love about him.

Five is the age of a kindergartner - while this should be daunting or frightening to a young mother, with Viv it seems so natural. She is stepping into her schoolwork and household responsibilities with aplomb, as if it is all only natural. On this birthday, I truly thank God that He blessed us with such a role model for all our forthcoming children to follow... at least as best they can as boys! We love you, Viv.

2 comments:

B-Mama said...

What a beautiful tribute to a very special little girl! Viv, I still remember when I got you to nap at my house, you non-napper baby, you! :) We wish we were closer to delight in you as we did then... Blessings to the soon-to-be double big sis!!

Hilary K. said...

What an awesome, beautiful and poetic tribute. She will cherish this...She is lucky to have you for her mother and Ethan as a father...but you write the better posts...has he ever written one??! I should talk as Hannah has turned to authoring mine in desperation!!