These lovely delicacies always emerge in the middle of winter at European grocery stores. We first ate them in Spain and then last year in Rome. They are always inexpensive and organically grown (two attributes that do not usually go hand in hand) so we love eating them while they are in season. The color of each segment varies wildly from its neighbors, from a light see-through orange to a thick crimson.
These blood oranges enchant me. And I love that they are popular in the countries of Catholicism. Countries whose ancient cathedrals favor the bloody, suffering Jesus to the sterile empty crosses of the Martin Luther churches here in Germany.
Wow, she got all that from a piece of fruit? Pretty out there.
Saturday, February 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ahhhh! To comment or not to comment! If I comment, she knows I stumbled upon her blog; not to comment and my soul feels restrained!
Maybe I can be anonymous?! Can she guess who this is?
Nothing sterile about the Protestant cross. We avoid the crucifix not because we want to deny or minimize Christ's suffering but because we want to emphasize He suffered, died on the cross (once), was buried, and rose again. Sin and death have been defeated. The tomb is empty! Nothing more glorious than an empty cross that signifies Jesus has paid the price once; it is finished. He need not die again. The victory has been won.
I don't want to offend. I just couldn't keep my mouth shut. Still friends I hope?
And yes, I should be reading Daniel Deronda instead of digging around old blogs. :)
And
anonymous shynonymous.
I still love you and am grateful that your soul should never be restrained with me. Thank you for the perspective. I had totally forgotten I wrote this, and your point is a great one. I am so glad we have a triumphant Lord. I think some days I need a risen Jesus Christ (emphasizing his Divinity) and some days I need a suffering One (emphasizing His manhood), I hope He is ok with that.
But "sterile" might have been a bit strong...
We will talk about this in person soonest. -K
Post a Comment