Friday, April 24, 2009
Prague in the Spring
As a senior in college I took an Eastern European Literature class and it left me with a desire to, "visit Prague in the Spring." Who knows why, it seems a bit arbitrary now, but we got to spend our first day on this trip exploring Prague and it exceeded my wildest expectations. This place is the best.
The city is accessible, yet lively. Friendly, yet cosmopolitan. Evolving, yet historic. International, yet proudly Czech. We all truly enjoyed exploring the sites and streets of this word class city. In order to really quantify things for you -- on the way back to the manor house with exhausted children and Grandma in back, I asked my spouse one of our favorite questions, "So where does Prague rank on your list of all-time best cities?" Drumroll please....number 1! Seriously, this man has been stubbornly holding NYC and Paris as his numbers 1 and 2 (I am not sure in which order), but he answered Prague with little hesitation.
Grandma bought fabulous wooden toys, famous Czech glass beads, and showed us the Infant of Prague. Ethan enjoyed cathedral after cathedral. And Mommy allowed herself to get lost in the world of cobblestones, apple strudel in a quiet patio and novel characters of story-lines which are now all but forgotten. This day truly had something for everyone. Oh, I would be failing my loyal readers if I didn't mention that Seth set off the alarm at the Cathedral that houses the Infant of Prague - (a strange, yet strong Catholic devotion began in the 16th century which involves nuns elaborately dressing a baby doll Jesus).
Photo of the crime:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh, I am so happy that this is a new favorite. I really want to go.... Looks beautiful.
Comments for all photos:
Photo 1a - interesting! I see Prague has copied the marbled streets of Middleport. But in Middleport, the streets were made of chocolates. Nice try, Prague.
Photo 2b -Why is that woman on the left running off in Viv's tights? Also - does Viv ever try to take the cockpit seat? (where Seth is hiding in the stroller) It looks like a place I would have tried to hide in when I was little.
Photo 3c- What a handsome family. "No - how dare YOU sir!" (it is 1:32am my time. I do not know why that quote from A Few Good Men seemed appropriate. I hope Ethan may understand, then he will feel vindicated after not getting the baby-building-home-in-belly picture I sent).
Photo 4d - "Seriously? I WOULD throw money in your case except then I'd have to pay myself double, because I am twice the violinist of your merit" (that is a quote from Vivian. trust me, she told me of her thoughts earlier on im)
Photo 5e (my favorite). - Dear Seth, in kindergarten, my best friend Joshua and I were curious about the chain of events that would unfold if a fire alarm were pulled. A bit skiddish at the time, we convinced an expendable classmate that pulling the fire alarm in the gymnasium would result in the dropping of the cargo net, balloons falling from the ceiling, and clowns dancing in from all entryways carrying delicious pizzas. The target did pull the alarm. And much to our shagrin, all that happened was a very loud siren, angry teachers, speeding fire trucks, disgruntled firemen, wasted taxpayer dollars, and a hysterically crying target. I see through the process of evolution, you have eliminated the middle man and got the job done yourself. This suggests two things to me: 1. We carry very strong genetic bonds of delinquency. This delights me as the same traits are shared by your cousins Kunkel. 2. Your mother must never ever ever let you attend public school.
1) Aunt Hannah is nuts
2) Cousin Evan would have happily been your accomplice in the alarm debacle. Note to self: NEVER let Seth and Evan be alone together. EVER.
Post a Comment