Friday, May 14, 2010

Fryday

There are some days it pays to be a stay-at-home-Mom. Unfortunately, I tend to get wrapped up in the day-to-day tasks of raising young children and lose sight of the greater scheme of things. It takes continual refocusing on my part to reaffirm my decision to make mother-wifering my full-time job. We know that, in the long run, our familial stability hinges on my ability to be home with the chill'ns. But what about in the short-run?
Well, today I was rewarded with one of those short-term-smile-inducing moments. It was about 0900 and Viv was back in her bedroom changing into her "Friday" underwear because who can really do homeschool work without donning the appropriate undergarments? As I stood at the sink loading the morning breakfast dishes into the dishwasher I heard her call out, "Mom, are we going to fry something today?" I only had to pause for a moment to figure that one out. A huge smile came across my face as I relished the joy of experiencing language and life anew alongside every pair of fresh eyes and brain of which Ethan and I are the co-creators with God. She is the first of our three children to be unlocking the mysteries of life and it is mind-blowing. I turned off the faucet and responded in the only possible way, "yes, of course we will."

We don't fry anything around here, but you can bet that tonight Daddy deep-fried us some frozen pot-stickers.

I never want to forget this day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hhahhahah...something tells me daddy put her up to it.....

Alex said...

...and now you never will forget this day. I hope that Viv inherits your gift of writing just as she has your wondrous curiosity of life and language.