Thursday, March 13, 2008
The nightmare that is thrush
How I found myself in a small Alabama town with a newborn son and no healthcare for either of us is a story for another time, however, I write this post to share my , hard-won, knowledge of the condition that is thrush.
We noticed the white gunk inside Seth's mouth a week after his birth, but weren't too bothered by it because he wasn't. Then I started getting excruciating pain every time he would latch on to nurse. Something had to be done! We read every online doctor and holistic medicine site out there and learned of the Gentian Violet cure. This is an alcohol suspension (low percentage) of a powerfully colored antifungal (thrush is a yeast infection that can get passed back and forth from baby to mother for ages) that you are supposed to paint on the baby's thrush and the mother's nipples. We did it, it worked, I just wanted to share this unforgettable picture from my poor second-borne's childhood. I will spare you the pictures of my purple parts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Awol mommy! Just had a moment to check out the blog and I love that the blogging world will help connect us over the distance! So interesting to learn about thrush--I will keep your remedy in mind as we approach the next little one's arrival in Aug! So excited to see little Seth and V! :) You all look great...
I'm going to get back to you soon on cloth diapers. You can listen to my diatribe on them. They are really wonderful and low stress once you get in the rhythm! Get excited! Blessings to the whole family!
Post a Comment